Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bedside Thinker: 32/365

I think a lot.  Not really about anything really important just mostly meaningless stuff.  I find it really aids in procrastinating, perpetuating self-doubt, and losing sleep.  That hasn't really been working for me the past few decades, so I'm *trying* to focus, though I've already forgotten where this post was headed. Globes. Okay. Here I am.

Tonight, I was trying to get my 2.5 year old to sleep.  As she talked about her day, I noticed the snow globe I had borrowed from a friend was sitting on my bedside table.  The nightlight from our bathroom was shining in, creating not only a silhouette within the globe, but casting curvaceous shadows, accentuating the blown glass.

I had to fumble in the dark to find the camera, which then meant my daughter had to get hers.  "I love punching these buttons, mama." I know, honey, I do, too.  I braced the camera body against the bedside table since I was already disrupting bedtime enough without busting out the tripod.  The two of us snapped away.  I took 13 pictures before I got the one below.

The funny thing is when I got this Nativity scene globe this afternoon, I wondered what I was going to use it for.  I began thinking that there are 11 months left of photos.  This project is going to suck so hard.  I'm out of ideas, the Guinness Book Snow Globe Holder hasn't called me back, the largest snow globe in the world is in Ontario, and there is a snow globe museum, but it's in Germany.  I'm screwed.

This image, however, is one of my favorites so far.  It reminds me of Rodin's The Thinker. Maybe all my thoughts and worries can be productive if I practice channeling them.  I need to stop thinking about what I can't do and focus on what is right here around me.  Tonight, I hope I have processed enough rambling thoughts to go to sleep, confident that I will think of more ideas.  I am grateful for this project for giving all my random thoughts a focal point.  Good night!

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous shot! And great realizations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amy-- love this shot. it's now my wallpaper.
    i think our creativity muscles will build on themselves as the year goes on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, this is a phenomenal shot: so beautiful and thought provoking! Really enjoyed following your train of thought and realizations. And hey, a focal point for unfocused thoughts is no small prize!

    I'm only on day 3 and I'm already wondering how I am going to pull this off the way I would like. Seems to me to be a project very much based on trust and faith, and since to my way of thinking that's where inspiration lives, I'm focusing on just one day at a time.

    Go Amy, go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this image, and I love how you brought us through your creative thinking so openly and honestly. It makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one who fights with myself over a project.

    Most of all, I love that you described the whole process to us, how it happened, how you captured it. It really shows the serendipity of art. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Think Think Think" -Winnie The Pooh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm off to see what all of you are up to today!

    ReplyDelete